Sunday, March 14, 2010

The Murder Room


Recently I bought over a hundred books from the lady next door, who was clearing her house of clutter. I hadn't read any of the books before, as they are mostly crime, courtroom and adventure stories. Out of all of them, this one caught my eye. I have never read any PD James before, but given the house on the cover, the name of the book, and the synopsis, I thought I would give it a try. I was pleasantly surprised at how engaging it was, and tried my utmost to work out who the murderer was. But I've never been good at working out a murder mystery, and in this one, I might have missed the moment, but I don't think there are enough clues to work it out. Which is probably why I like the book, because an unexpected ending is more my cup of tea.

The setting of the story is the Dupayne museum which has a room dedicated to murder crimes from 1919 to 1939. One of the Dupayne family members is mysteriously killed, and, from there, Detective Dagliesh and his offsiders go in to solve the crime. You might find the first part of the book a bit long , where the characters and setting are described, before the murder. However, I found the characters and their lives were all very intriguing, and I didn't find it boring at all.

Quite a good read!

My rating:
****

No comments:

Post a Comment