Thursday, March 17, 2011

Anne of Green Gables


This is a sweet story of a very talkative, imaginative, high achiever called Anne, who at 11 years of age is sent from an orphanage to live with Marilla and Matthew Cuthbert in Avonlea.

Anne has all manner of adventures and makes friends and enemies, but ultimately she aims to please all those around her. She makes many naive choices throughout her childhood, which find her in fix after fix, but Anne learns from her mistakes, and always tries to become a better person.

I wish I had read this story when I was younger, maybe around the age of 15, as a reminder to stay on the right track and aim to achieve highly, because I really needed a reminder of  those values around that time!Reading the book as an adult, it seems worlds away from real life, although it paints a pretty picture of a church-going, close-knit community, with bright, intelligent children. 

To me it is very much a children's book, and I probably won't read the rest of the series, as I am sure it will continue in a similar vein. Not that that is a bad thing, it's just not challenging enough for me. 

The final chapters were sad, and yet uplifting. Along with the opening chapters, they were the best parts of the book.

My rating:
**1/2

2 comments:

  1. I agree that Anne of green Gables is for the younger reader. However I did re read Little Women recently and found it still has something relevant to say to young girls of this generation. If I recall Anne of Green Gables correctly that would also apply?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Wendy,
    Thank you for passing by our Blog...I'm not sure if this is the blog which is most current...but lovely to meet you!
    HUGS
    Char.x

    ReplyDelete