Monday, August 11, 2014

The Outback Heart





I knew when I started this book that it would be a light romantic read, but I have been surprised at how well I can relate to the setting and colloquialisms in this story, as it is set in a small Australian town not unlike the one in which I live.

Indianna Wilson is VERY into AFL, and she is the physio for the local over 18s footy team. She also helps coach the Auskick teams. Already these references are very Australian! There is also mention of utes, barbecues, clotheslines, Hard Yakka shorts, footy jumper presentation nights, pub meals etc, but it is all written in a real way, not in a tokenistic way. 

Indianna falls for the new coach who has come from out of town, but he is curiously resistant to her flirtations. We are lead to his back story in which he has had a heart transplant and survived a deep relationship with a fellow heart transplant patient, leaving him wanting to avoid commitment.

I am not fussed about the romantic side of the story; people who play hard to get are predictable and frustrating. Still I am enjoying the Australianisms, and will pass this one onto my education assistant, who has a lot to do with the footy teams in our town. I am sure she too will relate to this setting.


My rating ****

2 comments:

  1. If I hadn't read the title, I'd have almost thought this book is set here, in Texas! So glad you enjoyed it so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you live in Texas! I've been dreaming about moving to Texas lately because the real estate is such good value. Bit of an outlandish dream, but just out of curiousity, would you recommend it??

      Delete