Thursday, January 14, 2010

The Time of my Life


The cover of this book tells it all - that this is the story of the powerful relationship between Patrick Swayze and his wife, Lisa Niemi. His story is her story too, because of their devotion to each other. I've never been a full-on fan of Patrick Swayze, although I LOVED Dirty Dancing and Ghost. Reading this book has made me want to revisit those films and see some of his others for the first time, like City of Joy and The Last Dance.

I had never known that Patrick Swayze had bouts of depression between film roles that made him become a big drinker. Then again, I don't think I've ever read an interview or article about him before. I guess because his public life wasn't scandalous. And because Lisa was, essentially, a nobody. We get to know her very well here, and learn of the importance of dance and the craft of film-making in their lives. We are reminded how important it is for husbands and wives to be a team.  We see what can be achieved if we reach for the stars, and we learn that if we reach too far we will take a tumble, and will find it hard to recover. We've learned the lesson before that Superman is not invincible, and we are reminded of that lesson here again.

My rating:
****

No comments:

Post a Comment