Sunday, August 24, 2014

The Best of Us




I read some of the reviews of this book and most people loved it! I on the other hand don't go in for sleazy school reunion stories in which the characters seem like they stepped out of Sex and the City. Partner hopping, binge drinking and pot smoking are not my scene and I felt these characters were tragic for the most part. Everyone's marriage was on the rocks for one reason or another and the reunion was just an excuse to try out old flames; a recurring sad theme in modern society. 

There were some poignant moments in this book for the characters who were dealing with issues of disability and disease, and there were some heartfelt moments between some of the partners. However I skipped big chunks of the book to avoid reading tacky passages about getting drunk or stoned and sleeping with other people's partners. The level of writing (ie chick lit level) wasn't satisfying for me as there was not even one  moment of literary brilliance.  Definitely not my cup of tea. 

My rating **

No comments:

Post a Comment